One of my favorite quotes is from the Breakfast Club.
However, I’m tired of hiding that I’m bizarre. Pretending to be perfect is exhausting. This past year, I’ve been learning that lesson on a regular basis. Not only is it exhausting—it robs us of who we really are.
This is all coming up for me because one of my closest friends is getting married in a few weeks. Many of the guests are going to be people I haven’t seen in close to a year. Instead of being excited to see my old friends, my first instinct was to figure out how I could make them think that everything was perfect in my life.
Guess what? Everything’s not perfect. I don’t have a car, I work for fairly low pay, and I don’t look like Heidi Klum. But life not being perfect doesn’t mean that life’s not good. Life, in reality, is pretty awesome most of the time.
And part of my awesome life is being bizarre. I mean, I really am a ginormous nerd. I don’t say that in a self-deprecating way—I’m a proud nerd! I wrote a research paper on Scooby-Doo in college, I’ve read every Harry Potter at least 10 times, and I play hidden object games on my computer to pass the time. And I think that’s pretty sweet.
I’m lucky to have friends who love my bizarre-o ways. The conversations I have with my close friends can be absolutely insane. And that’s part of what makes life so good today. I love having people in my life who not only accept my nerdiness, but embrace it.
In honor of them, here are 5 bizarre things about myself that I think are actually cool:
- In addition to writing a term paper (that I got a 97 on) about Scooby Doo, I have seen every episode and movie ever made. At this point, I realize the direct-to-DVD movies are awful, but I can’t not watch the new one!
- I still listen to MMMBop on a regular basis. Don’t tell me you don’t still heart Hanson.
- I follow both Voldemort and Snape on Twitter. Expect retweets to start happening.
- I am obsessed with all things Wizard of Oz. “Tin Man” was epic for me, and I own an I OZ shirt that I wear with pride.
- I frequently break out the “Cameron Diaz” on the dance floor. Not in my underwear, though. I’m not that bizarre!
So to sum it up: weird and nerdy is awesome.
What weird things about yourself do you think are actually incredibly awesome?
How does your inner nerd come out?