Since I’m on such a tight budget, and losing weight, I have to be very careful about where I shop for clothes. Thankfully, I live across the street from…
I know a lot of people who won’t shop at Goodwill because they get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff available. It isn’t a bright, clean, or well organized store. However, you can find tons of great stuff if you know how to look.
I’ve developed my own system for shopping at Goodwill that works really well for me. I decided to do this blog post to share my rules for shopping at Goodwill (or any thrift store) because hopefully, I can help someone else feel fabulous about themselves on a budget. After all, it’s amazing what a cute new shirt can do for the soul. Really, it’s a huge emotional boost.
So, with that said, here are my rules for thrifting.
1. Go in with no more than three types of items you want to buy. Don’t try to sort through the whole store. Go in for sweaters and jeans, or dresses and work pants.
2. Know a few key colors that look good on you. Tops and sweaters are arranged by color, so knowing which ones work for you is really helpful in simplifying your search. I know I look good in jewel tones, so I usually stick to looking at those colors, black, or white.
3. If it isn’t your size, keep looking.
4. If it isn’t a brand you’ve heard of, keep looking. I go in looking for quality clothes for cheap. If I don’t know the brand, I don’t know that it’s quality.
5. If it’s frayed, faded, or has any other kind of serious wear and tear issue, keep looking. Again, quality!
6. Wear appropriate undergarments. I try on anything I’m thinking about buying. If I’m not completely in love in the fitting room, I don’t buy it.
7. Give yourself time. Goodwill isn’t going to be in-and-out shopping trip. Give yourself an hour or so to browse.
8. Accessorize. Goodwill is a fantastic place to find cute sunglasses, necklaces, and bracelets for dirt cheap. If you’re intimidated by shopping for clothes, this is a great place to start.
And now, for some of my favorite Goodwill finds.
Trina Turk for $4.
Cute, drapey sweater.
Skirt and shirt from Goodwill. This entire outfit was under $10!
Hopefully, this will inspire some of my fellow budget shoppers to try Goodwill or thrifting. I not only love that I save money, I also like the mission of Goodwill.
“Goodwill works to enhance the dignity and quality of life of individuals and families by strengthening communities, eliminating barriers to opportunity, and helping people in need reach their full potential through learning and the power of work.”
Goodwill does a lot of great work helping people get on their feet, and I’m happy to contribute to this organization. Please see their website for ways to help out and get involved.